Wednesday, December 5, 2007

dr. mario anonymous

David struggled to read the text on the blackboard above the dinner table, where we sign up for agenda items with approximate time allocations. "Vidergoblleiagkasdjsadg... err... Ben." He read.

"Um, ok," Ben began, searching quietly for words. "I know that many of us enjoy the nintendo. But, I have an addictive personality and I have been having a problem. Um. I've been staying up all night sometimes. I play and I can't stop, and just like an alcoholic shouldn't have alcohol in the house..." he looked around, "I would like to ask that you remove the video games. Their presence is detrimental to my work and scholarship." He said he was risking his job and college career.

It was later relayed to us additionally that the rumoured considerations to move out by Ben are in great part related to our easy access to the video games, ancient and wonderful, made accessible by Brian about 4 months ago and creating junkies on all floors of the house.

Brian volunteered to hide the controllers in a place that Ben couldn't find them, but others could know about. It was agreed.

...........

I just walked into the living room, lit by the new Christmakwaanzakuh Bush... and Ben's laptop. (Or someone's laptop. The last I saw Ben's was in the refrigerator on Sunday.)

"What are you watching?" I asked.

"Dexter. Have you seen it?"

"Nein," said I. "But I know Ciara and Sophia are both addicted and Glenn watched it and liked it a lot..."

Ben looked guilty. "Yeah..."

"This is because we hid the game controllers, isn't it?" I asked.

Only a silent, sheepful grin.