Thursday, May 24, 2007

bangled spangled tangled and spaghettied


Check out this rockin' photo of Corrigan (and his hair) back in October. Imagine another seven months without haircuts and you'll understand why even our Finance Officers look like dirty hippies. In fact at the board meeting last night when I was voted as the third check signer, it was also suggested I adopt the scraggly facial hair and wily-locked aesthetic of Corr and Mark Peopolis. Maybe... Glenn said I looked good in my Wild Thing whispy facial hair... or maybe not.

I work at the same office as Corrigan.

We support system tech administrators and users of a software that analyzes lifestyles and media consumption habits. Heard of Nielsen sweeps week or ratings? We assist people who want to use this in combo with qualitative research to target a certain demographic with particular viewing habits and a fat wallet.

Corrigan and I are good at our jobs, but we try really hard not to look at the reports cataloguing the number of minutes we've spent coaxing, coaching, getting cursed at, and empowering the commercial part of the media industry that is ugly to the sort of person who lives in a co-op & doesn't shave. We work on different floors and actually don't interact frequently. (During my interview I was told almost apologetically that I wouldn't be able to sit next to Corrigan. Gosh, it was almost a deal breaker.)

Although Corr and I work with different sets of people, folks generally know that we are roommates. So today Sandy said to me laughingly, "So the big discussion upstairs is all about Corrigan's hair. I didn't see it in person yet."

"Neither did I!" I exclaimed. "What about his hair?"

"He cut it all off," Sandy said. "Carrie is really upset because she loved it. Everyone at the desk in the lobby is discussing it."

I don't know if Corrigan will lose his strength to topple columns now, but I confirmed a few hours later that he was both clean shaven AND given what my mom would call a tennis ball cut. (Like my irish roommates used to give themselves - they all know offhand what number blade they use on the shears, and I was consistently shocked that during Rehoboth summers a hair cutter was second priority, above food and after beer.)

It might be a shocking aesthetic shift, definitely not top secret, but I was slightly surprised to think that my co-worker (who doesn't really even know Corrigan) more or less moved the monkey regarding a Haymarketeer. Huzzah!

PS Corrigan it makes you look more like a canteloupe than ever.