Wednesday, May 2, 2007

sinking ships

"Didn't you say you had a blog?" asked Eli.

"Um. I. Wha - whydoyouask?" Eloquent and unsuspicious as always.

"Well," Eli answered with one eyebrow raised, "you mentioned it last night."

I still insist I did not. Certainly I would not have mentioned it, after struggling at such length regarding to decide whether to share its presence and concluding that alerting the house to these pages might curb my written honesty. So I cut the publicity budget and went about my business recording everyone else's business.

But last night I stood transfixed in Eli's doorway, wondering how the hell he could coincidentally know about my nascent project. His explanation was simple enough: there was no coincidence, I referenced its existence on Walpurgis Nacht.

So I betrayed my own secret? Was a few beers on a Monday night all it took? I can't even trust myself?

(Since Eli basically deduced I had this thing I allowed him to read it... and in 4am pensiveness that followed already found my enthusiasm for the project curiously dampened. The significance there is enigmatic.)

Henceforth: I shall type this blog blindfolded so I won't spill the contents herein to others.